IDENTIFY THE DOCTRINE: Write on the board, "The First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles are prophets". Tell the children that in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we are led by the President of the Church, his two counselors in the First Presidency, and the Twelve Apostles. Explain that the First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles are prophets.
ENCOURAGE APPLICATION (playing a matching game): Gather pictures of six members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve, and write their names on separate pieces of paper. Put the papers and pictures facedown on the board. Have a child turn over a picture, and invite another child to turn over a piece of paper with a name on it. If the picture and name do not match, put them back in place and allow two other children to choose. If the papers match, whisper to the two children a gospel principle the leader taught in the most recent general conference (see the latest conference issue of the Ensign or Liahona), and have them act out a way they can live the principle. Invite the other children to guess what they are doing.
1. Pergler's Primary Place (see #2 below)
2. Natalie writes, "Here are the "Can Label" print-outs to go with Pergler's Place lesson (see #1 above). There are 20 label's for Campbell's soup 10 3/4 oz. size can's. They are for the lesson Prophet has may duties Sharing Time." [pdf] Number of pages in file - 20 (Shared by Natalie Allan / ga03102012)
3. Erika Pike has put together a power point presentation as part of her sharing time and wanted to share it in case anyone else would like it. Click here to open her power point. Thanks Erika! (ga03102012)
4. Jenny writes, "I’m going to hang individual pictures of the following Apostles and Prophets. There will be 6 business size envelopes with their names on them. The children will match the name to the apostle/prophet. If they get it right they will look inside the envelope and read a small quote from their last conference talk. I will then expound on that topic. If time permits we will also sing a song that goes along with that topic." [pdf] [Word] (Idea shared by Jenny Compton / ga03102012)
5. Prophets and Apostles Sharing Time by Catherine White
6. Punch Board sharing time by Audrey Hoffmann
7. Sarah writes, "I am also planning to do the punch board. (I’m going to do 3 rows of 4 holes, so 12 apostles all together.) This is a list I just came up with (rough draft!) with a brief description of their talk (for me) and a possible corresponding item in parenthesis. And I still need to come up with a few more items, but this is what I have so far:
1. Richard G. Scott - power of scriptures, great power comes from memorizing scriptures (book of Mormon, since it’s more light-weight and won’t tear bags)
2. Pres. Uchtdorf - we are all so important to H. F. He loves us and cares for us. (picture of Christ w/ little children? Picture of a heart)
3. Neil L. Andersen- families are important and having children will bless us (baby shoes)
4. D. Todd Christofferson - Repentance is a gift; when we repent and say we are sorry when we make a mistake, repenting will bring us happiness. (washcloth, since repentance makes us clean)
5. L. Tom Perry- If we will share the Gospel with our friends, we will love them more, and we will have courage. (pass-along cards/black missionary tag)
6. Jeffrey R. Holland- Missionary work, being a good example to our friends and keeping our standards (not sure of an item for this one?)
7. President Henry B. Eyring- The Book of Mormon teaches us to become better people…to be more charitable, to stand as witnesses of God, and to help us always choose the right. (CTR ring)
8. Pres. Thomas S. Monson- Saying our prayers is so important. We show our gratitude to Him and He sends inspiration to us. (Cell phone, since prayer is how we communicate with H.F.)
9. Dallin H. Oaks- We believe that Jesus Christ is our Savior. We must show others that we follow Jesus Christ by keeping his commandments. (any ideas for an item for this one? Maybe a recipe card, since we have to follow a recipe like we follow commandments...?)
10. Quentin L. Cook- While sometimes we go through hard times in life, and we may not have all the answers, what we do know can help us face our trials with faith and confidence. (lemon—maybe relate it to turning lemons into lemonade…with faith and confidence even our trials can be made into something “sweet”?)
11. David A. Bednar- the importance of doing family history work. Being worthy to go to the Temple to do baptisms when you turn 12. (picture of temple/ temple recommend)
12. Boyd. K. Packer- Despite trials and temptations, young people (youth and children) should not be afraid. You should look forward to living a righteous life—getting married, having a family, etc. By following the commandments you will be protected by the Holy Ghost. (mittens…we shouldn’t be afraid of “getting cold” and never go outside. The holy ghost will protect us, like our mittens keep us warm? Or an umbrella if I can find one small enough and not too heavy for the paper bags…h.g. protects us like an umbrella keeps us dry, etc.)
That's all I've got! Please share your ideas, too! (Shared by Sarah Gilreath / ga03092012)
8. (Idea shared by Sharon King / ga02152012). She writes, "Here is an idea for sharing time for March week 2: The First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles are prophets. I used the Identify Doctrine part from the outline and then changed the game a little bit.
Have this written on the board," The First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles are prophets".
Tell the children that in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we are led by the President of the Church, (Put up picture of President Monson) his two counselors in the First Presidency, (Put up pictures of Henry B. Eyring and Dieter F. Uchtdorf) and the Twelve Apostles. (Put up pictures of 12 apostles).
Explain that the First Presidency and the Twelve Apostles are prophets.
Explain that although they are all prophets, only one person can hold the keys to that calling at any one time. Today President Monson holds those keys and he is the prophet of the church and of the whole world.
Last week you learned that Heavenly Father speaks through his prophets. So that means that if Heavenly Father wants to tell us something, he'll tell the prophet who will then tell us.
Our prophet as well as all of the apostles share messages with us twice a year in general conference. Each message that they share has an important topic that will help us get closer to Heavenly Father.
Today we are going to play a game.
Explain to the children that behind each picture of the prophet/apostles there is a word. This word is something that the prophets and apostles have counseled us to do.
To play the game, a child will come up and pick a picture. On the back will be a word that they will decide whether they want to act out the word, draw the word on the board, or hum a song relating to the word on the back (Cranium style).
On the back of each picture have the following words that the chosen child will act/hum/or draw about:
Go to the Temple
Go to church
Choose the Right
Read the Scriptures
Keep the Word of Wisdom
Love one Another
Family Home Evening
Keep the Sabbath day Holy
Obey your parents