The Ten Commandments
PURPOSE OF THIS LESSON - To teach the children that keeping the Ten Commandments helps us be happy.
1. Primary 6 Lesson Cards by Letitia Drabsch - Handout Idea
2. Video Clip - Play the Ten Commandment video clip if time permits. Total Running Time (4:01)
3. How to teach the Ten Commandments to your children from lds.org
4. Prepare the chalkboard and table as shown above. Make and cut out a cloud to put on top of the mountain. Have the class make colored paper tents and put them on the table to represent the Israelite camp. As you tell the story of the Ten Commandments, put the cloud of smoke on top of the mountain.
5. Prepare the following wordstrips:
Draw the following two tablets on the chalkboard or on poster board. Lay the wordstrips on the table. Have a child choose a wordstrip and post it on the correct space:
6. REVIEW GAME - Write out various review questions from the lesson (or past lessons) and fold the pieces of paper up and put it in a bowl. Call on a child to come up and draw out a question. If they get it correct, they will get to add a line (from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, etc.) Once the puzzle is complete it should be two tablets of stone representing the Ten Commandments.
7. Ten Commandments printable.
8. I used bulletin board paper and cut out a large "tablet" shape. It is in the shape of Moses' stone tablet. Write 5 commandments on each side, leaving plenty of space between them for the children to illustrate. The children love the chance to really think about them and illustrate them. The best part is when it is displayed for all to see. (Idea by Tammie Jones)
9. OBJECT LESSON - Tie a cord, string, or rope between two objects in your classroom (the door and a chair across the room, for example). Allow the children to take turns using the cord to help them find their way across the room with their eyes closed. You might have some reward for each child at the end of the cord. Explain that just as this cord leads us across the room, the commandments lead us back to Heavenly Father. (Taken from the Primary 3 Manual)
10. Ten Commandments Worksheet
11. The Ten Commandments by Ericka Covalt - Power Point Presentation
12. Primary 6 Passport Booklet by Melanie Day
13. Chicken Scratch n' Sniff
14. Valiant Newsletter by Debra Nelson - [pdf] [Word]. Cryptogram Solution: All of the Ten Commandments fit under the two great commandments that Jesus Christ gave in Matthew 22:37-40: to love God and to love our neighbors.
15. I just wanted to submit another version of the PowerPoint Presentation (it is the 97-2003 version). I took Ericka Covalt's wonderful Power Point and edited it with more sound and gave her credit at the end: [click here to open file] (Shared by Kerry Lee-Crawford / ga06142014)
16. Primary Handout by Rachael Day