A Few Ideas for Sharing Time
One idea I had to help tell the story of
the brother of Jared is when I tell the part of how God confused the
languages I invited 3 people who spoke different languages (Spanish,
Japanese, German) and had them demonstrate talking in English one moment and
then switching to them speaking in their foreign language. It was such a
hit. I highly recommend this to anyone telling this story. I also had the
glow in the dark stones in a barge that I made out of two football snack
dishes (tape one on top of the other - found it at Target dollar
section) When it was time to tell them how the stones gave them light I
brought out my barge (i had a flashlight on top of 16 stones right up until
the moment I showed them) had someone turn out the lights and then opened my
barge and showed them the lit stones. I gave them each one stone and told
them to go home and tell this story to their families. It was a lot of fun
and the kids loved it.
We will role play it by using people who speak different languages at the tower of Babel, gathering supplies and animals and traveling in the wilderness to a tent (under a table), building a boat (box) have a child get inside and show the hole in the top for breathing, and talk about how dark it would be without light. show how he made rocks and put two rocks inside each boat. Sing row row row your boat in a round several times while the boat is blown to the promised land.
I am talking about a couple of promises during my sharing time. First: When I tell about how The brother of Jared asked with faith that the Lord touch the stones to make them light up. I will read Moroni 7:26 it says: Whatsoever thing ye shall ask the father in my name which is good, in faith believing that ye shall receive, behold, it shall be done unto you. The brother of Jared had so much faith he saw the finger of the Lord, and then he saw the Lord completely.
I am also pointing out that the Lord made a promise when he was talking to the Brother of Jared. He said that whoso shall possess this land should serve him or be swept off. We live in the promised land, this promise is to us as well.
I don't think this will take up enough time, so I am
going to play a tic-tac-toe game to review the story and see how much the
These are my questions. If they get one right they get
to put an x or an o on the board.
1. How were the people trying to get to Heaven?
(building a tower)
2. What happened to the people's language at the tower
of Babel? (They changed and people could no longer understand each other.)
3. The Lord promised the brother of Jared that his
people could live in the promised land if they were ______? (righteous)
4. How long were the Jaredites in their boats heading to
the Promised land? (344 days or almost a year!)
5. When the brother of Jared was in the wilderness, the
Lord was angry with him. Why? (He hadn't been praying)
6. What did the people take with them? (Honey bee,
flocks, seeds, food)
7. How did the people see inside the barges? (with
8. How many rocks were in each boat? (2)
9. How did the Brother of Jared get the rocks to light
up? (He asked the Lord to touch them)
10. What did the Brother of Jared see after he saw the
Finger of the Lord? (The Lord--His whole body)
11. Why was the Brother of Jared able to see the
Lord? (Because of His great faith)
12. What did the Jaredites do when they landed on the
shore of the Promised Land?
13. How many boats did the Jaredites take? (8)
14. What was the Brother of Jared's name? (Mahonri
15. How did the people breathe on the ship if it was
closed so tightly? (Through the hole in the top)
16. What did the Jaredites do when they reached the
shores of the Promised Land? (knelt and thanked the Lord)